Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mexican Quinoa

This is one of my new favorite dishes.  It has a nice little kick from the jalapeño and a great tang from the lime juice...a GREAT combination!

1 TBS olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, minced
1 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I didn't have these so I added chopped red pepper and a little water)
1 cup corn kernels
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 avocado, halved and diced
juice of 1 lime
2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeño. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
Enjoy!

*This lends itself well to "doctoring." For instance, I substituted chopped red pepper and a little water for the tomatoes since I didn't have any. I also used only half of an avocado since that was all I had on hand. Despite both of these things, it was still GREAT!


No comments:

Post a Comment