Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Coconut Shrimp

Coconut Shrimp with sautéed brussels sprouts

I have always loved the coconut shrimp that you can order in restaurants, but I knew that I needed to find a clean eating version. This recipe fits the bill! As an added bonus it is so fast, easy and delicious, you will find it hard to believe that it can be healthy! But...it is!

1 cup vanilla almond milk
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 TBS canola oil (I used coconut oil...you could probably substitute olive oil as well)
8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tsp agave nectar

In two shallow bowls, set up a dipping station with the almond milk in one dish and the coconut flakes in the other. Prepare a skillet over medium heat with the oil. Submerge the shrimp in the almond milk. Take shrimp, one at a time, out of the almond milk and roll in the coconut flakes to cover. Place the shrimp in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip the shrimp and continue cooking until the shrimp is cooked through and the coconut flakes are golden brown. Drizzle with agave nectar and serve.
This makes 2 servings.

This was my first time making this and I learned a few things....I used frozen shrimp and didn't thaw it first. I think the coconut topping would have stuck to the shrimp better for me if I would have thawed it first. I also don't think my skillet was heated enough when I first put the shrimp in. My meal was still delicious though and I just scooped up any topping that fell off and ate it with the shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment