Saturday, September 20, 2014

Clean Eating German Cabbage Soup

My two oldest girls love cabbage...and I mean they REALLY love cabbage. I am always on a quest to find new ways to fix it, healthy ways, rather than just steaming it. With the fall weather in Michigan closing in on us, I began a search for a quick soup recipe the other day...one that I hoped would be easy, fast and filling. I found this clean eating recipe and thought it fit the bill. My daughters thought so too! The picture doesn't look nearly as good as it tastes...and it tastes better the next day. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 head of Napa or regular green cabbage (either one works)
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey, bison or beef
  • 4 tablespoons caraway seed (+ 2 more for the meat balls)
  • 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I usually use chicken broth)
  • 4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs (I usually use whole eggs)
  • 1 red onion – chopped
  • 4 cups distilled water (plus extra if needed)
  • 2 medium russet potatoes – chopped small. (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • Directions:

    1. In a large pot, set your broth and water to boil.
    2. Chop your cabbage and set aside.
    3. In a large mixing bowl, mix your turkey meat, onion, eggs and 1/2 of your caraway seed (1/4 jar).
    4. Roll small (walnut size) amounts of turkey into balls and drop into boiling water.
    5. If using potatoes, add to pot.
    6. Add your remaining caraway seed to the boiling water as well.
    7. Top off with cabbage, and cover. Return pot to a full boil, and reduce heat just enough to keep it from boiling over.
    8. When the meatballs are cooked through and the cabbage is soft, it’s done. Add salt and pepper to taste.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment