Sunday, February 22, 2015

Chickpea, Cherry, and Couscous Lettuce Wraps


The family wanted pizza. I was busy trying to juggle multiple tasks to finish off my weekend and I was limited on time. I wanted to stay on track instead of giving in to the pizza so this was my quick and easy solution. It was fast, easy, tasty, and filled me up...and was healthy to boot!

1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
1/4 tsp all-natural sea salt
1 15-oz. can  chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 ounces unsalted walnuts, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup packed fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/3 cup dried unsweetened cherries, halved
Lettuce leaves (Boston works well. I used Romaine)
*********************************************
(Optional)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 TBS tahini paste
6 TBS fresh orange juice

In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in couscous and salt. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, tahini, and remaining orange juice until combined. (Optional)
In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, walnuts, parsley, and cherries. Fluff couscous with a fork and add to chickpea mixture. Stir gently to combine. Top lettuce leaves with couscous mixture. Serve with tahini sauce on the side. Makes 4 servings.
Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Aviana! I got away from this for a little bit (I am a high school teacher and life got CrAzY), but I intend on getting back to it. It is one of my passions and I enjoy sharing and helping people. :)

    ReplyDelete