Sunday, January 24, 2016

Learning to Love ME


LOVE yourself.
Sounds easy, huh? But it’s not.
It has taken me years to learn this and I am still not good at it. It’s so much easier to love your kids, your spouse, your parents, your siblings, your dog...heck, even your mother’s uncle’s cousin twice removed. It’s even easier to love those who have hurt us.
Been there. Done that.
Why? Well, maybe it has something to do with not wanting to appear full of ourselves, but I kind of doubt that. What is wrong with valuing ourselves after all? Society has taught us, however, that ego is equivalent to arrogance...but it’s not. Ego really revolves around valuing ourselves. Arrogance is another whole ball game. You can have a strong ego without being arrogant. I think it has more to do with doubt and comparison. We doubt our own opinion and ideas. We compare ourselves to those around us and in our eyes, we don’t measure up. Hogwash!
I grew up in a difficult environment to say the least. I won’t go into details...I am not ready to...but let’s just say that my early childhood was not conducive to a strong ego. However, it didn’t stay like that and I can blame my environment or I can move on and take responsibility for myself and my own happiness. I could blame my early environment for not loving myself...or I could change myself and how I think.
I choose the latter.
There are always choices. No matter how stuck you feel or how beaten down, there are always choices. You just have to make the right ones...and if you don’t, you have to pick yourself back up and keep going. I hear people all the time saying that they are stuck, that they CAN’T. Don’t ever underestimate the power of positive thinking. It will take you places you have only imagined. Try it for a week, a month...and see how it changes your life. I was such a negative thinker before, always seeing the bad in every situation. Let go. See the bright side, the good. Focus on possibility. Your attitude determines your day...your life.
Loving yourself is the first step to truly loving others. (Gosh….I wish I would have figured that out sooner!) Self-love involves treating yourself right and taking care of yourself both mentally and physically. You are stronger and more capable of handling things when you love yourself.
Repeat after me….I am beautiful. I am strong. I am GOOD.
Now...LIVE it. :)
xoxo ~Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment