Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Quinoa

Quinoa is one of my favorite healthy things to eat. It is quick and easy, and can be eaten hot or cold. Add to that all of the nutrients in it and you have a super healthy food!


I like to buy organic quinoa because I want to make sure that my food is not processed. You can buy quinoa in red or traditional. I don't really find any difference in flavor so I just buy whatever is available at the time.

Quinoa is a protein rich food. It has almost twice as much fiber as other grains. Fiber is so important for so many reasons. In terms of weight loss, a high fiber diet keeps you full. It also reduces high blood pressure and diabetes and relieves constipation. A high fiber diet will keep you more regular. It also contains iron which helps keep your blood healthy.

One of the best benefits of quinoa in my opinion is how high it is in magnesium. Just 1/4 cup contains almost half the daily recommended value of magnesium! Magnesium is important for many things, but it is especially good for relieving headaches since it allows the blood vessels of the body to relax. I get a lot of headaches so I tend to look to my diet for solutions and quinoa is one of my solutions!

So...if you are looking for a new superfood, try quinoa. I think you will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment